Monday, September 16, 2013

Overachievement at it's Finest


Hi Friends! I'm back!

From procrastination nation to overachievement, I am posting two days in a row! I know, I can hardly believe it myself. But before you get your hopes up, I admit up front, I have no idea what to discuss today. I suppose I should come up with weekly topics like all the cool, real bloggers do, someday ;)

Seeing as how I am officially in taper maybe this would be a good time to discuss the psychic nature of Runners World Magazine. I just received my October 2013 issue and there was a great article about how to handle the anxiety of taper. Before my last half marathon, I thought I was going to go crazy and how no idea what was wrong with me. Every time I stepped on the pavement the rational part of my brain knew that I needed to take it easy to rest up for the race, but the emotional/crazy part of me just wanted to run and run and run.

And here we are again, taper time and the battle between the rational and the crazy. Although this time now I know that the crazy in me isn't so crazy but actually a normal crazy!

Here are some of my favorite highlights from this well-timed dos/don'ts article:

  • Don't unleash the crazy on others - warn your friends and family that you may be a little more on edge during the next couple of weeks.
  • Do have a new goal lined up for after your current race, it will give you something to look forward to (aside from the race you have been working so hard for), that this period of reduced mileage and reduced addicting endorphins is temporary.
  • Speaking of those addicting endorphins, the stress and anxiety of taper may be the result of the reduced endorphins our brains are experiencing. Because of the physiological response our brains have to these feel good hormones, taper can be equated to an addict going through withdrawal. As a psych grad student this not only appealed to my scientist side, but also made so much sense, I don't know why it never occurred to me before!
  • Do something else you enjoy! Despite what we all may believe, life does not revolve around running. Get a hobby, see a movie, or spend time with loved ones!
And if all else fails, there is always chocolate. For me, I ended my evening tonight with chocolate banana froyo in my runner girl mug with dark chocolate chips.

Amazing runner girl mug I received from
a great friend for my birthday!

There really is nothing better than chocolate when I'm feeling stressed, anxious, or happy! Who needs an excuse to each chocolate, anyways. For me its an essential food group all in itself.
Yummy "froyo" - I swear it tastes better than it looks in this picture.

What do you do to conquer taper stress and anxiety?

How do you find a balance between knowing you need to rest up and just wanting to run for many miles?

What are your "guilty" foodie pleasures?

No comments:

Post a Comment