Monday, September 23, 2013

Taper Time and Funtastic Cupcakes

It's time to get serious about this whole taper thing. I have less than a week until the Marathon, pretty much exactly 5 and a half days. The last two weeks of "taper" have not gone well. As I've mentioned, I pretty much stink at cutting back the mileage. But this is the last week before the race and its crunch time. It's really time to rest up and let my body get ready for Sunday. I'm going to post my planned running workouts so that, maybe, by putting it out in the universe I will actually feel a need to stick to it.

Monday: (Already happened): 5 easy miles
Tuesday: Fartlek totaling 6 miles (with long warm up and cool down)
Wednesday: Arc trainer or walk
Thursday: 4 easy miles
Friday: 4 easy miles
Saturday: 3 easy miles
Sunday: MARATHON!!

Did I mention that I also seem to have developed a head cold? Yay for perfect timing! To be honest, I think this cold was a blessing in disguise because it is really forcing me to pull back and rest, rest, rest. That and consume a lot of vitamin C and chicken soup. As I wrote that last sentence, I was reminded of the "Chicken Soup for the _____ Soul" books when I was younger. They have a version for any type of person you could think of these days. So I did a quick google search and low and behold there is a "Chicken Soup for the Runner's Soul." Maybe in honor of the amount of real chicken soup that I will be consuming this week, I should buy  just bought it and will read it this week! Maybe I'll do a monthly book review?


That reminds me, I really need to come up with some sort of theme for these blogs posts. Maybe this will help reduce the amount of "stream of consciousness" that is currently plaguing my posts. My apologies...I'll make it my goal to occupy my would be running time with blog topic brainstorming time.

Today I made some yummy, funtastic funfetti cupcakes for the ladies in my program that took our preliminary exam this weekend. As part of our requirements, Ph.D. students must take a long essay exam to prove that they have a comprehensive knowledge of the theories and principles of Human Development. Essentially, you have to prove that you understand and remember the 2132908213091 articles we read during our first year classes. Its pretty much an academic hazing right of passage. But I digress...these cupcakes came out really well and they all seemed to appreciate the gesture.



Added to my "blogger to do list" during this week of reduced running, creating about me and recipes pages. Look for the recipe for these cupcakes on the recipe page, soon...I PROMISE!

Have you read any good books lately?

What are your favorite cupcake flavors?

Do you have any special "go to" cold remedies?


1 comment:

  1. I was obsessed with the chicken soup books when I was in junior high/high school... what a throw back. Feel better soon!
    I need to see if there's a "book of the month" linkup. I've already got my post planned, and linkups are great ways to get others reading your blog! I'll let you know if I find anything (if you're interested).

    ReplyDelete