Saturday, September 21, 2013

Today I am Choosing Happiness.

As I have mentioned, maybe more than once, this last week and a half have been a struggle. I don't think I have yet to put my finger on exactly why, but at this point, I don't think it matters. What does matter is focusing on happiness. The best way to get over feeling down in the dumps is to reappraise your attitude and choose to be happy. And yes, that is much more easy to say than it is to do. But research has shown that people who try to be happy are overall more happy and resiliency, bouncing back from the negative, is actually an important key to being happy.

The Huffington post recently posted this article about the habits of supremely happy people. Most of the time you have to take things on the internet with a grain of salt, but this article seems to be backed by a plethora of research, reporting findings from a few recent studies from the field of Positive Psychology. Being a researcher in clinical psychology, I was always a bit skeptical of this new field of "Positive Psychology" everyone seemed to be talking about. Even just the name seemed to scream "don't take me seriously." But having read a few peer reviewed papers on positive psychology theory, I must admit, I was wrong. We can really learn a lot about how to improve the quality of life for everyone by studying the positive and fulfilling aspects of life.

Here are just a few of the habits that father of positive psychology, Dr. Martin Seligman, has found to be related to increase happiness...

  • Surrounding yourself with other positive people
  • Smiling when you mean it
  • Cultivating resilience
  • Trying to be happy
  • Being mindful of the good things and appreciating the simple pleasures
  • Devoting some of your time to giving and listening to others
  • Unplugging, being spiritual and connecting with others on a deeper level
  • Looking on the bright side
  • Exercising and being outside
So now to focus on the positive events from the day:

Being pampered with facials and beauty tips from a Mary Kay consultant. A good friend won the party and invited me and a few other girls to join her. It was such a great chance to spend time with some good friends I don't get to see too often and of course, get a free facial. I had never actually had a facial before, and my skin felt so amazing afterwards. She even has me partially convinced that being a rep for Mary Kay could be a good side job to support me during grad school.

Healthy Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Muffins. I made these healthy whole wheat pumpkin spice muffins with a spiced glaze for the party. Everyone loved them! Check out my recipes page (when it goes live of course) for the recipe!


A Rainy Day. Today was the first real rainy day around here in many many months. Ever since I moved to Davis two years ago, it has hardly rained. The weather seems to always be warm and sunny. This New England girl seriously misses variable weather, and today we got it. It even thundered!


'Canes Win. Saturday during fall = Miami Hurricanes football. Today they dominated against Savannah state.


Yummy Dessert. What's better than chocolate froyo with strawberries and carob chips? I have been frequenting my local Yogurtland a lot lately. Do what makes you happy right?!

What happiness habits do you practice?

Which new behaviors are you going to adopt to increase your happiness?

What's your favorite dessert indulgence?


No comments:

Post a Comment