Monday, October 7, 2013

Mental Health Monday: Sunshine Award

First of all, I apologize for my neglecting of the blog over the last few days. I was busy with some work for lab, spending time eating apples off of trees, and having such a long to-do list that I spent an entire day watching Parenthood on netflix. But now it's time to get my act together. 



For this week's Mental Healthy Monday, I thought it would be perfect to answer some questions posed to me by one of my favorite bloggers, Sara, over at Loving on the Run. She shared the Sunshine Award with me, and what better way to promote positive mental health than a little bit of sunshine and connecting with amazing bloggers.


According to Sara, here's how it works: 

                1. Include award logo in your blog post. 

                2. Link to the person who nominated you. 

                3. Answers 10 questions about yourself. 

                4. Nominate 10 bloggers to receive the award and ask them 10 questions.

Here are my answers to Sara's questions!

1. What is your favorite non-running form of exercise? 

A few years ago I probably would have said swimming. But ever since I got so burnt out that I quit, I would now say spin cycle. I've only gone to a couple of classes, but they were so much fun. I really need to go more often!

2. What made you decide you start blogging? 

I started reading blogs to learn more about running. I finally decided that I wanted a chance to connect with all of these amazing other runners I had been following. I also hoped to use it to document my journey to becoming a better runner, but also a more healthy person in general.

3. If you could move anywhere in the world, where would it be? 

Ireland!! I have never been, but I come from a huge Irish Catholic family and have seen so many pictures and heard so many wonderful things about it that I want to skip over visiting and go straight to moving there for a period of time. I think it would be such an amazing way to learn about my family's heritage. 

4. What is your favorite weekend activity? 

Right now it would have to be watching college football (Go Canes!). I also love spending time with Jamie. We don't get to see each other much during the week, so spending time together on the weekends is such a treat. This past weekend we went apple picking and wine tasting. It was great to get away and just spend time together, sans phones and distractions from the "real world."


We also ate some of the best apple pies ever!



5. What is a current goal you are working towards? 

Boston 2015! I know I have a lot of time to take off my marathon time to make this happen, but I know there are a lot of things I can work on and improve on to make this happen.

6. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

Hopefully married with kids! I might hold a faculty position at a research university, or maybe I am working with children with autism as a clinician. What comes after I finish my Ph.D. is still up the in the air, so I'm not entirely sure what I will be doing for a job in 10 years. As long as I am healthy and happy, that's all that will matter. 

7. What is one positive thing blogging has brought to your life? 

A sense of community. It gets pretty lonely in grad school, especially when there is no one else to share in your crazy passion for running miles and miles for hours and hours. It's so nice to read that the struggles I go through in my running journey that sometimes I feel ridiculous getting upset over are real. Other people actually experience the same struggles. But they also feel the same sense of accomplishment from completing an awesome run, creating an amazing froyo concoction or even a successful healthy creation in the kitchen. They understand that a life consumed by running and eating is normal.

8. What is your favorite blog to read? 

Well I obviously love reading Loving on the Run, and like many other runners, the hungry runner girl is top on my list. I also love reading Grad Student Needs Hobby, mostly because she is one of my closest friends. I never said i wasn't biased :)

9. What is your favorite workout song? 

As with many others right now, I would have to say Katy Perry's "Roar." 

10. What is your favorite holiday? 

I think I would have to say Christmas. I love the decorations, the food and the music. But it's the only holiday I get to spend at home in Connecticut with my family. 

Here are my questions for others:

1. What's your favorite healthy snack?
2. What's your favorite thing to indulge in?
3. What's your favorite way to workout?
4. If you could meet any person, dead or alive, who would it be?
5. What is your favorite season of the year?
6. Where is your favorite place to eat out?
7. Taking a page out of Sara's book, what made you decide to create a blog?
8. What's your "go to" coping mechanism to deal with stress? (I could use some tips on this one!)
9. If money wasn't an issue and you could do anything you wanted with your life and time, what would it be?
10. If you could have any animal as a pet, what would it be?

And my blogger tags:
1. Megan at Grad Student Needs Hobby
2. Natalie at Dear Blogosphere
3. Cori at Olive to Run
4. Morganne at Nut Butter Runner
5. Katie at Running 4 Cupcakes
6. Presley at Run Pretty
7. Alyssa at See this Girl Run
8. Sara at Fit Cupcaker
9. Elizabeth at My Neon Running Shoes
10. Becky at Olives n' Wine

It's getting late here on the West Coast, so I will figure out the next steps tomorrow. This is my first award and nomination process, so I am fighting yet another learning curve. Man, if I wasn't in a Ph.D. program, this whole blogging thing would make me feel so inept.

No comments:

Post a Comment