Thursday, October 10, 2013

My Name is Stephanie and I'm a Runaholic

I don't know what it is about Thursdays, but I always feel so exhausted and not motivated to do much of anything. My brain must think that Friday actually starts Thursday evenings when I get home.

Today I tricked my brain into actually doing something productive on a Thursday and made a real dinner from scratch, a spaghetti squash casserole (recipe coming tomorrow).

But then it was a matter of what to post about. I spent an hour earlier looking at races coming up in the next couple of months. I tried to convince myself multiple times that running a half marathon every weekend, traveling up to 4 hours away and paying $100+ entry fees was totally reasonable. After all, I would get to run in new places and acquire more race bling (aka finishers medals).

Eventually I gave up, motivated mostly by the thought that my boyfriend would probably strangle me if I asked him to travel with me for yet another race, and read a bit of Chicken Soup for the Runners Soul.

I stumbled upon a story of a busy mother who had to sneak out of her house to get a couple runs in during the week. To her, these brief moments were key to her sanity.

"My runs always remind me of what life is: always putting one foot in front of the other, even when I'm exhausted. It's about running up the hill, however daunting, and congratulating myself for not stopping. Life, like running, is about getting up and pushing on ahead, even if I've tripped on a pothole. It's about keeping the rhythm and setting a pace...Running is like life; it is a glorious, albeit sometimes painful, act of always moving forward." - Luci L. Creery


Her sentiments really resonated with me. Rest days are the most difficult days of the week for me, even if the week includes a 20+ mile run. I feel so out of it and don't know what to do with myself. If I don't start my day with a run, I'm not entirely sure how to get my day going. There have been many Sunday rest days that I have sat on the couch all day just trying to figure out how to be a person. Is this a symptom of withdrawal?


Jamie often jokes states very seriously that I am addicted. I don't know how to not run and I would do a race (i.e. a half marathon) every weekend if I could.

So yes, my name is Stephanie and I am a runaholic. I am addicted to running. But its not the act of running itself that I am addicted to. Its the feeling I get after. It doesn't matter if the run goes well or absolutely horribly, I still feel better afterwards. I feel like a real person and am able to function and be a productive member of society.


So if there ever comes a day when I can't run, I might as well just stop trying to be a productive person. A little dramatic? Maybe, but that's what happens when you're an addict, right?

Is there something you do that makes you feel amazing?

What do you do that makes you feel alive?

*All pictures are from RUN Like a Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment