Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Workout Wednesday: Building Back Up!

On Monday, my PT gave me the green light to run the Turkey Trot Half Marathon on November 23rd. He even asked me what my plans were for training and suggested that I don't taper and just ramp it up until race day (minus any speed work). This is pretty much the best news I've heard in WEEKS!

So of course I immediately pulled out my go to half marathon training plan, and began to edit and shift things around to accommodate my "ramp up" needs. It also just so happens that apparently November is "Pile on the Miles" month according to Monica at Run, Eat, Repeat. For this challenge, the goal is to run or walk a whole heck of a lot of miles to avoid the oh so dread holiday weight gain. So essentially, this means you pledge to run or walk as much as you can so that you can eat even more, right? I am so in!

Source

I haven't quite decided on the total miles I want to pledge because I want to include both running and walking. I really love taking long walks. It's a great way to escape and clear my mind for an hour or so. Plus, its really good for you, see?!

But with regards to the half marathon training, this is what I've got so far. (Note: Some runs may be replaced with cardio sessions at the gym, either spinning or the ARC trainer, depending on how my hip flexor holds up).


I will also continue to incorporate as much leg, arms and core strengthening as I can. During my marathon training, I became really bad about strength training. It probably was a large factor in my recent injury, as strength training is one of the best ways to AVOID injury. So from now on, I promise to be good and do my squats and crunches!

I can't wait to be on a training plan again and to have some structure to my running and life in general!

How do you feel about walks?

Tell me something good that has happened in your life this week!

3 comments:

  1. I love walks! Living at home I used to walk ALL the time... alone, with Jason, or even with friends. Walking is one of my favorite forms of exercise. I'm seriously considering pledging to this Pile on the Miles challenge (she even says in one place on the post you can count cycling, which made it even more tempting!) but I have no idea what to pledge. Something to think about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! Any time of "mileage" counts. Cycling, walking, ellipticaling, running, swimming, etc. You could always set a more conservative goal and then reassess after the first week. Maybe you could set a plan to try to build up your weekly mileage each week, beating your previous week's mileage as the month goes on?

      Delete
  2. Last weekend we were in the mountains for our anniversary and we did a TON of trail walking... LOVED it. During the week we try to do after dinner walks a few times and I really enjoy that time together. :)

    ReplyDelete