Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Workout Wednesday: Race Recap and Special Announcement!

Today is "Workout Wednesday," but considering I was tapering last week and am in recovery this week, I don't have any workouts to share. I could talk about the countless trips to get froyo this week (after all it takes a lot of work to get in my car, drive 5 minutes, pull the lever on the froyo machine and scoop toppings), but a race recap could be more useful, at least for my own personal use.

I started off nice and easy, very afraid of cramping or hitting a wall in the later miles. I held an average pace of 8:40-8:45 for the first 18 miles and slowed down a lot for the last 8 miles. This also coincided with the "mountainous" trails. I took a clif gel during mile 7 and 12 and took 3 margarita flavored clif shot blox (with extra sodium) at miles 16 and 20. I also drank a lot of water, but I wasn't very consistent about when I was taking in water. I pretty much drank when I felt like it. I went through four 7 ounce fuel belt bottles and one 10 ounce bottle. Over all I felt pretty good. The last 6 miles were challenging because of the unexpected hills and trails. I wonder how different it would have been if the course was flat and paved (like it was advertised - but i'm not bitter or anything).

Elevation map from my runkeeper app.

Below I have listed my splits. Its pretty clear which miles I encountered rough terrain and hills.


Here are some of the lessons that I am taking away from this race:

  • My pre-race fuel of a banana, coffee, and rice cake with peanut butter 60-90 minutes before the race and then shot blox 20 minutes before the race with lots of water seems to really work for me.
  • I should experiment with taking in more fuel during the race as my legs were feeling very fatigued by the end.
  • I should plan out my water intake the same way I plan out my fuel intake.
  • Pacing is something I REALLY need to work on. I used to be really good about maintaining even paces throughout my distance swim races. This is something I desperately need to figure out in running.
  • I need to incorporate much more speed, race pace/tempo and hill workouts into my training.
These are all things I plan to work on, along with my nutrition as I prepare for next year's marathons with the hopes of qualifying for Boston 2015.

With that said, its time for a special announcement!

I have officially registered for my second marathon! It is March 23, 2014 in Modesto, CA. It admittedly won't be the most scenic of races, but it was relatively cheap as far as marathons go, actually flat (I checked the course elevation map this time), 100% on roads, and the race entry includes a shirt, finishers medal and commemorative jacket! 



I was deciding between this race and the San Luis Obispo Marathon in April. The SLO race was more expensive, starts at 6:00am, didn't include as much fun stuff, and hilly. (Yes, I realize I will have to run hills in Boston, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it and as I mentioned above, I do plan to incorporate hill training into my workouts). I may still do the half marathon at this race because San Luis Obispo is gorgeous and Jamie keeps bugging me about visiting. 


I also plan to run the Santa Rosa Marathon in August, 2014. Registration is not open yet, but its on my calendar. Needless to say 2014 will be a great year of marathoning and I can't wait! (Yes, maybe i'm a bit crazy, but I plea running bug bite induced insanity.)


I will be working on my training and nutrition plan over the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned!

Do you have any goals for the future, big or small, near or far?

What steps are you taking to reach your goals?

1 comment:

  1. You have some awesome goals coming up! I can't wait to hear more as you approach them and start training for them.

    ReplyDelete